Candidate for AC Transit Director, Ward 5
I would like to bring my extensive education and experience in transit to this job as your Director of AC Transit, Ward 5. I have experience as a Bay Area transit manager in all aspects of bus transportation from finance, operations, scheduling to maintenance of equipment. I want to bring better transit options to South County than what AC Transit now provides. I know how bus transit works and will fight to get Ward 5 the bus service it deserves, particularly for students and seniors. Mobility needs in our area have changed. We need better school service, more frequent service and options that allow more flexibility. Since I started working in transit I have a passion for making things better for transit and the people it serves. And, as a member of the Fremont Mobility Task Force, I have gained an understanding of the transportation needs of both the residential and business communities. Safe, reliable, frequent and affordable bus service is an integral part to solving traffic gridlock. I was a long time transit rider taking the DB Express from Fremont/Newark to San Carlos. I know the need to have better service with more flexible options and I recognize the need for a regional transit plan. We need to make travel more seamless from a regional perspective and we need to do that in a way that is sustainable and with a fiduciary obligation. We need to insure we move towards our clean air standards and are being environmentally smart. My record of hard work, integrity and common sense has earned broad support from community groups and local leaders.
Serving the Community – Diane Shaw
EAST BAY TIMES: AC Transit District voters deserve better candidates - Vote Diane Shaw
League of Women Voters 2018 AC Transit Board of Directors Candidate Forum
Diane's 1st Video Blog
Listen to Diane’s main “Focus Points” for Fremont, Newark & South Hayward’s – Ward 5
Diane's 2nd Video Blog
Listen to Diane’s qualifications for Fremont, Newark & South Hayward’s – Ward 5
- 14 years working as an IT Manager for a Bay Area Transit Agency.
- IT Manager responsible for all of the business applications for the bus system.
- I was involved in Finance and Budgeting, Operations, Scheduling and Planning, and the Inventory and Maintenance of Equipment.
- I graduated from the APTA(American Public Transportation Association) Leadership Program in 2006.
- I served on the Dumbarton Express Consortium and was part of the Transbay Task Force.
- I served on the Alameda County Citizens Advisory Working Group(CAWG) that oversaw the Regional Transportation Plan(RTP) and the 10 year Transportation Expenditure Plan(TEP) in 2011.
- I was appointed to the Alameda County Bicycle and Pedestrian Committee as the AC Transit representative and currently serve in that role.
- I was also appointed to and still serve on the Mobility Task Force that was put in place by the Mayor of Fremont to address mobility issues within Fremont.
EDUCATION / HISTORY
- I graduated from Mankato State University, Mankato, Minnesota with a BS in Computer Science and Business.
- I worked for United Airlines for 23 years progressively moving up the ladder before taking a layoff due to 9/11.
- I was then hired by San Mateo County Transit District and worked there for 14 years before retiring 2 years ago.
- I have lived in Fremont for 34 years in the Centerville area.
Bill Quirk – Assemblymember, 20th District
- Kansen Chu, Assemblymember 25th District
Al Nagy – Mayor of Newark
- Michael Hannon – Vice Mayor of Newark
Carol Dutra-Vernaci – Mayor of Union City
Luis L. Freitas – Newark City Councilmember
Elsa Ortiz – AC Transit Board President
Joe Wallace – AC Transit Board Vice President
Chris Peeples – AC Transit Director At-Large
Greg Harper – AC Transit Director Ward 2
- Jeff Davis, AC Transit Board Member Ward 5
- Thomas Blalock – Bart Director District 6 representing the Fremont/Newark/Hayward area
- Rocky Fernandez – Former AC Transit Board Member / District Director at Office of Bob Wieckowski
Suzanne Chan – Former Alameda County Transportation Commission
Mark Green – Former Union City Mayor; MTC Commissioner
Ed Proctor – Former President/Business Agent ATU Local 1574
Shirley Harris – Former San Mateo County Transit District Board of Directors
Victoria Wake – Transit Activist, former Transbay Task Force
East Bay Woman’s Political Alliance
Vivien Angelica Larsen, Ohlone College Board of Trustees
John A. Dutra, Chairman of the Board, Dutra Enterprises, Inc.
Tony F. Dutra, CEO Dutra Land & Consulting Services, Inc.
- Evolve – Community Association (www.evolve-ca.org)
- Green Party of Alameda
- F.U.N. Progressives
Fraternal Organizations/Social Clubs/Non-Profit Support
Fremont Elks #2121 Chair of the Activities Committee that oversees our charitable donations.
American Public Transportation Association (APTA) Member
Ponderosa Square Homeowners Association – President
Pactel Parchasers Golf Club – Treasurer
Fremont Family Resource Center Corporation – Board of Directors
Fremont Family Resource Center – Donated time to help put together the FRC 10 year strategic plan.
FRC Citizens Advisory Group – member
Life ElderCare – Friendly Visitor Program visiting seniors at home